How can I insure my buy to let?

Posted on by Anthony Wakefield & Co

From April 2015 the buy to let market in the UK is likely to expand dramatically as people realise that they can use their pension pots to invest in rental property. Also with parents keen to move their children out of the family nest a flat or starter home could well be a wonderful way to help them get on the road to independence!

Mortgages have never been cheaper to acquire as long as the purchaser has a solid credit rating and a large deposit to put down.

The wisest investment would probably be to invest in a newly built property, but even with numbers starting to climb the demand is likely to outstrip supply. Thus older properties are likely to be the most practical option.

We are noticing that property developers are currently concentrating on properties above shops, many of which are currently used as offices. These can be bought at much lower prices than existing residential units, and with business rates still at very high levels they are no longer in demand for commercial use. Planning permission for Change of Use is not normally required, following a change to Government policy.

There are several insurance policies available for properties that have been purpose built or recently converted, but the choice is far less for those where a considerable amount of refurbishment needs to be carried out in order to make the property suitable for a tenant.

Our Connoisseur Homes2Insure policy can normally offer competitive terms for all rental properties and it can be adapted to take the refurbishment work into consideration. We offer terms for cover while the property is rented and we extend the Liability sections of the policy to reflect the use as such. Loss of rent is covered as standard and the amount of cover can be tailored to the requirements of the policy holder.

We can consider unusual risks, such as converted churches or pubs. Call 01306 734 600 for further details.